Between Austin, San Antonio, Houston & Bryan/College Station
Smithville Volunteer Fire Department
The members of the Smithville VFD bravely devote their time and energy to putting out fires and keeping the community of Smithville safe. In order to join the Smithville Volunteer Fire Department, you need to fill out an application. Then, on every second and fourth Wednesday of the month, the VFD has a meeting at 7pm and a vote will take place then. After an applicant has been voted on, they must serve a one year probationary period, and then they will be voted on once more at the end of the six months. If an applicant makes it through, then they must fill a quota of attendance for fires and meetings in order to stay in.
Fire Safety Tips
The best way to ensure your house and loved ones remain unscathed by a fire is to do your best to prevent a fire from happening in the first place. Some important tips for fire safety are provided here for your convenience.
- Create a floor plan of the building detailing at least two ways of escaping every room.
- Test windows and doors for ease of opening and check their size to see if they are useful exits in the event of a fire.
- Sleep with your bedroom doors closed, as it will prevent the heat and smoke from coming in as quickly.
- In the event of a fire, stay low to the ground and find a safe place outside away from the fire.
- Install at least one smoke detector on every level of a building and replace their batteries at least once a year.
- Keep anything flammable at least three feet away from all portable or space heaters, halogen lights, or any other item that is prone to emitting a lot of heat.
Downtown Road Closures 12/21
NOTICE - DOWNTOWN ROAD CLOSURES SCHEDULED ON FRIDAY, DECEMBER 21st - A production company will be filming in our downtown area on Friday, December 21st fro...read more >
City of Smithville HOLIDAY SCHEDULE (Garbage Pick-up will be impacted)
Below you will find the City of Smithville Holiday schedule. This information has been communicated on our City website, Facebook Page, and on the December...read more >
BASTROP COUNTY BURN BAN LIFTED
The BASTROP COUNTY BURN BAN has been LIFTED as of 12:01 am December 18, 2018. It's a good practice to notify the local authority having jurisdict...read more >