Smithville Volunteer Fire Department
The members of the Smithville VFD bravely devote their time and energy to putting out fires and keeping the community of Smithville safe. In order to join the Smithville Volunteer Fire Department, you need to fill out an application. Then, on every second and fourth Wednesday of the month, the VFD has a meeting at 7pm and a vote will take place then. After an applicant has been voted on, they must serve a one year probationary period, and then they will be voted on once more at the end of the six months. If an applicant makes it through, then they must fill a quota of attendance for fires and meetings in order to stay in. Please visit www.smithvillevfd.org for more information.
Fire Safety Tips
The best way to ensure your house and loved ones remain unscathed by a fire is to do your best to prevent a fire from happening in the first place. Some important tips for fire safety are provided here for your convenience.
- Create a floor plan of the building detailing at least two ways of escaping every room.
- Test windows and doors for ease of opening and check their size to see if they are useful exits in the event of a fire.
- Sleep with your bedroom doors closed, as it will prevent the heat and smoke from coming in as quickly.
- In the event of a fire, stay low to the ground and find a safe place outside away from the fire.
- Install at least one smoke detector on every level of a building and replace their batteries at least once a year.
- Keep anything flammable at least three feet away from all portable or space heaters, halogen lights, or any other item that is prone to emitting a lot of heat.
RECYLCE CENTER CLOSED FOR HOLIDAYS
Veterans Day: The City of Smithville will close the Recycling Center on Friday, November 10, 2023, for the Veterans Day Holiday. Recycle Center will return...read more >
Residential Trash Service Canceled for Tuesday 10/24/2023
Due to staffing issues, Waste Management has canceled the residential trash service route for Tuesday 10/24/2023. Please leave your trash cans out as the r...read more >
Extended Burn Ban Order: 9/14-10/10/23
The extended Burn Ban Order approved in Commissioners Court on 9/11/2023. The extended Order will go into effect on, September 14, 2023, at 5:00 PM, and...read more >