Between Austin, San Antonio, Houston & Bryan/College Station
Smithville Volunteer Fire Department
The members of the Smithville VFD bravely devote their time and energy to putting out fires and keeping the community of Smithville safe. In order to join the Smithville Volunteer Fire Department, you need to fill out an application. Then, on every second and fourth Wednesday of the month, the VFD has a meeting at 7pm and a vote will take place then. After an applicant has been voted on, they must serve a one year probationary period, and then they will be voted on once more at the end of the six months. If an applicant makes it through, then they must fill a quota of attendance for fires and meetings in order to stay in.
Fire Safety Tips
The best way to ensure your house and loved ones remain unscathed by a fire is to do your best to prevent a fire from happening in the first place. Some important tips for fire safety are provided here for your convenience.
- Create a floor plan of the building detailing at least two ways of escaping every room.
- Test windows and doors for ease of opening and check their size to see if they are useful exits in the event of a fire.
- Sleep with your bedroom doors closed, as it will prevent the heat and smoke from coming in as quickly.
- In the event of a fire, stay low to the ground and find a safe place outside away from the fire.
- Install at least one smoke detector on every level of a building and replace their batteries at least once a year.
- Keep anything flammable at least three feet away from all portable or space heaters, halogen lights, or any other item that is prone to emitting a lot of heat.
COVID-19 UPDATE: CITY FACILITY CLOSURES
The City of Smithville will close all public access to city facilities until further notice effective Friday, March 20, 2020 at 8:00 am. This includes City...read more >
BLOCKED UPRR CROSSING AT LIVE OAK AND FM2571
As many citizens are aware, the off-system bridge (built in 1936) on 4th Avenue over Gazley Creek was ordered CLOSED for public safety by the Texas Departm...read more >
Gazley Creek Bridge at 4th Avenue CLOSED
The off-system bridge at 4th Avenue over Gazley Creek was ordered CLOSED for public safety by the Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT) at 10:25 am on...read more >