Between Austin, San Antonio, Houston & Bryan/College Station
Smithville Volunteer Fire Department
The members of the Smithville VFD bravely devote their time and energy to putting out fires and keeping the community of Smithville safe. In order to join the Smithville Volunteer Fire Department, you need to fill out an application. Then, on every second and fourth Wednesday of the month, the VFD has a meeting at 7pm and a vote will take place then. After an applicant has been voted on, they must serve a one year probationary period, and then they will be voted on once more at the end of the six months. If an applicant makes it through, then they must fill a quota of attendance for fires and meetings in order to stay in.
Fire Safety Tips
The best way to ensure your house and loved ones remain unscathed by a fire is to do your best to prevent a fire from happening in the first place. Some important tips for fire safety are provided here for your convenience.
- Create a floor plan of the building detailing at least two ways of escaping every room.
- Test windows and doors for ease of opening and check their size to see if they are useful exits in the event of a fire.
- Sleep with your bedroom doors closed, as it will prevent the heat and smoke from coming in as quickly.
- In the event of a fire, stay low to the ground and find a safe place outside away from the fire.
- Install at least one smoke detector on every level of a building and replace their batteries at least once a year.
- Keep anything flammable at least three feet away from all portable or space heaters, halogen lights, or any other item that is prone to emitting a lot of heat.
CITY COUNCIL MANDATES FACE COVERINGS IN PUBLIC BEGINNING WEDNESDAY, JULY 1, 2020 @ NOON
The Smithville City Council voted unanimously to pass an emergency ordinance mandating citizens to wear face coverings in public. This action is necessary ...read more >
CITY OF SMITHVILLE WATER PRESSURE UPDATE
The loss of water pressure in our community over the weekend was due to a communication failure with the system that activates pumps that fill the ground w...read more >
CITY OFFICES WILL RE-OPEN TO THE PUBLIC ON MONDAY, JUNE 15, 2020
Public access to city facilities will be allowed beginning Monday, June 15, 2020. All city-appointed boards will resume their regularly scheduled me...read more >